Last week Sony announced the VAIO E Series 14P laptop but failed to mention any inclusion of the new Ivy Bridge family of processors from Intel, instead the only mention was of an Intel Core i3-2350m processor. But Sony Australia has decided to go ahead and list the Intel Ivy Bridge version of the VAIO E 14P anyway and name the price at $1,499 AUD, that’s around $1,554 US dollars. Laugh all you like, but the poor Aussies are used to sky high prices on electronics, even with the fairly impressive specs below you wouldn’t sell more than a dozen at that price state side:
- Model: VAIO E 14P (SVE14A16FGH)
- Processor: Intel Core i7-3612QM Processor 2.10 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz (Intel Ivy Bridge 3rd generation Core)
- Graphics: AMD 7670M and Intel HD 4000
- Screen: 14-inch 1600 x 900
- OS: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
- Storage: 750 GB HD (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Optical Drive: DVD Burner
- Ports: Two USB 2.0, 2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0, HDMI, monitor out, SD card slot, Memory stick card slot, Ethernet RJ-45 port, headphone, microphone, monitor out
- Webcam: 1.30MP
It’s interesting to note that Sony made no mention of a higher resolution 1600 x 900 screen in their original press announcement, but this SVE14A16FGH model configuration has such a resolution. And of course Sony did not mention the inclusion of the Intel Ivy Bridge processor in the E 14P last week, but that’s because Intel still hadn’t announced it, something that will change this week.
The VAIO E 14P will come with AMD 7670M switchable graphics, with the Intel HD 4000 serving as the integrated GPU. We reviewed the Intel HD 4000 graphics last week, for an integrated GPU the performance is impressive. The Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3612QM coupled with the AMD graphics will make for a powerful performance laptop – if Sony can get the price down this could be an enticing laptop for those that need performance on the go. One caveat, the VAIO E 14P is a rather heavy 5.07lbs, so while it has a smallish foot print and is fairly thin at 0.88” it could go on a bit of a diet.
Sony Australia is quoting battery life at 5.0 hours with this configuration using the standard battery, upgrading to a larger battery gets you up to 8.5 hours. Color options on Sony Australia for the E 14P are black or white – sorry, the promised pink color option has not shown up yet.
Source: Sony Australia