Backlit keyboards aren’t easily found in big-budget laptops, gaming laptops, or ultrabooks. However, just because a laptop provides a light-up keyboard doesn’t mean it will be the best. You should also make sure that the keyboard is nice and comfortable to type in.
Here are our top laptops with backlit keyboards and a quick summary of what they offer in addition to their specs.
1. Dell XPS 13
Made from patented glass-fiber weave, the stain-proof deck is beautiful. The keyboard features larger keycaps that are nicely spaced for such a small laptop. It is pushed toward the top of the deck, providing enough space for a glass touchpad. Typing on the keys makes for a comfortable experience, with just enough snap to avoid feeling mushy. The backlighting is only bright enough to make out every key character in a dark setting.
- Up to 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.8 GHz)
- Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with the shared graphics memory
- Up to 32GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x Memory Onboard
- 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
- 11.6 x 7.8 x 0.6 inches
2. Asus VivoBook 15 F512JA-AS34 Laptop
This great laptop features an ErgoLift hinges design that tilts the keyboard up for more comfortable typing. The backlit keyboards are a lifesaver for late-night usage, and it also comes with various brightnesses instead of a toggle, even though the lowest setting is bright enough.
The keyboard is quiet and comfortable to type on, and the fingerprint scanner is fast and accurate. The great thing is that the number pad is small, so it doesn’t get in the way. Overall, the deceive doesn’t lag, and everything opens quickly, thanks to the SSD.
- 15.6 inch Full HD (1920×1080) 4-way NanoEdge bezel display
- 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1 CPU (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
- Ergolift design
- USB 3.2 Type-C, USB 3.2 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
- Windows 10 in S mode
- Anti-glare coating
- Intel UHD G1 integrated graphics of 10th Gen Core i3 & i5 G1
- Lithium-polymer battery
- ASUS SonicMaster.
3. Apple MacBook Pro
Now, the keyboard that gets the most praise. This laptop’s Magic Keyboard features a scissor mechanism with 1mm travel—about half of the original keyboard found in the 2015 and prior model years—for a comfortable and quiet typing experience. The keys spring back enough to get that satisfactory typing feel.
The keyboard is quiet and very comfortable to type on, as the keys are slightly smaller; still, they do not make typing on them any more difficult. The directional arrows are adequately set up, and the physical Esc key makes it a breeze to flip through open applications.
- Ninth-generation 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
- 16-inch Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- AMD Radeon Pro 5300M Graphics with GDDR6 memory
- Ultrafast SSD
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
- Six-speaker system with force-canceling woofers
- Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- Up to 11 hours of battery life
- 802.11AC Wi-Fi
4. Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701
This ASUS laptop is easily one of the best for gaming—and it’s safe to say that, on top of other great specs, the keyboard of this device alone can be a big selling point. Its forward keyboard position lowers surface temperatures on the desktop-style layout so that you can game in comfort for hours.
You can customize per-key RGB backlighting for different games and workflows and match colors and effects with compatible peripherals using Aura Sync. Illumination extends to a unique volume roller positioned for quick adjustment and a glowing Numpad that appears on the touchpad.
- 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-8750H (Hexa-core, 9MB cache, up to 4.1GHz)
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q (8GB GDDR6 VRAM); Intel UHD Graphics 630
- RAM: 24GB DDR4 (2,666MHz)
- 17.3-inch screen, Full HD (1,920×1,080) IPS, Pantone Validated
- 2 x USB 3.1 (USB Type-C), 3 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI 2.0b, headset jack
- Full HD webcam (1080p, 60fps)
5. Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
This laptop features a full-size chiclet-style keyboard that also includes a separated numpad. The backlit feature turns off after 30 seconds of inactivity to save energy making it very convenient. The typing feel is exquisite. However, some may feel that separated ‘Home/End/Pg Up/Pg Dn’ keys are needed.
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Mobile Processor
- 15.6″ Full HD IPS screen
- 7.5 hours of battery life
- The innovative Acer TrueHarmony speaker design
- HDMI, USB 3.1 & USB 2.0, 2×2 802.11ac.
- Windows 10 in S mode
- MD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- HD Webcam (1280 x 720)
There are many other great laptops the market offers. However, these are what we think are some of the best choices. We tried to find an option for everyone, so whatever the purpose you’re searching for, we hope to have helped you find the laptop that will benefit you most.